Almost anything that is used daily will require some maintenance to make it last. Your carpet can last a lot longer if you take care of it the right way. If you have carpet in your home, there are a few fundamentals you should know about.
How to Protect Carpet in High Traffic Areas & Keep it Fluffy
1. Floor coverings like tables, furniture, chairs, night stands and area rugs should be clean. This helps keep the indoor environment healthy because these items collect particles that can make the indoor air quality less than desirable.
2. Vacuuming is important. It prevents dirt, debris and grime from building up. This is only one step however. Accidents, pet stains, foot traffic, kids, stains and normal wear and tear are all good reasons to make sure your carpet is vacuumed regularly. Once a week and more often for high traffic areas and use that crevice tool that came with your vacuum to clean the baseboards.
3. When you vacuum, it’s always better to do more than one pass. If you choose to use a portable steam cleaner, it will also need more than one pass to remove as much dirt and debris as possible. One pass will remove the top layer, but not dirt deep down.
4. Always do spot checks when you’re applying any sort of cleaning solution. Pick a hidden area to make sure the carpet won’t be damaged or discolored by using it. If you choose to rent a machine it’s always best to pre-treat any problem areas to get better results.
5. Never rub a stain! Always blot and work from the edge of the stain to the center of it. This will prevent the stain from spreading. If possible, treat stains as quickly as possible to give you the best chance in preventing the stain from setting into the pores of the carpet fibers and leaving a permanent stain or a bad smell. The best way to dry a spot and brush the nap back up to use a clean white towel.
6. The biggest problem with carpet cleaning seems to be drying times. The carpets need to be completely dry before day to day activities resume. This ensures new stains and spots from forming and setting in and indentations from furniture won’t be as noticeable. These effects can be diminished by moving furniture around every once in a while and fluffing up the indentations formed from the weight of the furniture. Move areas rugs around to get even wear on them and if spots need extra drying, you can place a heavy object over it with a white towel.
7. Not all carpets are created equally. Some are harder to clean than others because the materials are different, the dyes used are different along with the length of the pile. Carpets are made differently and will affect the way it should be taken care. You shouldn’t use the same method for all carpets and call the professionals to do it for you.
Professional Carpet Cleaning in Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Northridge & Greater Los Angeles, California
All these tips can extend the life of your carpet. There is a plethora of information on the internet about how to treat stains and clean carpets. Severe stains, spots, spills, accidents and foul smells should all be dealt with by professionals. Contact Eco Clean Carpet Cleaning to have your carpets cleaned today!