There are many benefits to carpet, but there is maintenance required to keep it looking great. No matter how hard you try, accidents happen. What are the best ways to treat carpet stains?
Tips to Keep Carpet Looking Clean & Like New
1. Vacuum regularly. Carpet collects dirt and debris quickly. This makes it harder to remove stains when they occur. High traffic areas should be vacuumed at least once a week, if not more. Regular vacuuming will make it easier to lift stains.
2. Use shaving cream to remove food and grease stains on carpet. It may seem strange, but shaving cream can be effective at lifting some stains. Use white, creamy shaving cream instead of the blue-tinted gel types.
3. Use dishwashing liquid to treat greasy stains. Greasy stains can be treated with dishwashing liquid. You only need a little bit of it because it goes a long way. Dishwashing detergent is meant to break down the structure of oil and grease, making it easier to remove.
4. Use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains. Hydrogen peroxide is very effective with blood stains. It will fizz when it contacts the blood. You will need to rinse it away quickly, so it won’t bleach your carpet. Leaving it on your carpet could result in a lighter spot where you used it.
5. Use club soda to remove red wine carpet stains. Many stains can be removed with club soda. It will dilute the stain and the carbonation acts like an agitator to lift the stain from the carpet.
6. Always blot carpet stains. The biggest mistake you can make is rubbing a stain. This can make the stain worse and damage the carpet fibers. Use a clean cloth and press firmly on the stain.
7. Use weight for stubborn carpet stains. If you’re having a hard time removing a stain, you may need to add some weight. Add some water to the stain, place paper towels over it and use some books to absorb it. Just make sure the carpet dries completely to avoid mold issues.
8. Scrape sticky carpet stains. Candy and other sticky substance can be scraped off. Adding water to it will make it melt and spread. Most sticky substances will stay on your carpet until they are diluted.
9. Freeze gum and sticky carpet stains. Other sticky substances, like gum and peanut butter can be frozen. Apply ice to the substance, wait for it to get hard and then break it off the carpet.
10. Use carpet cleaners formulated for pet stains. Do not use traditional carpet cleaners on pet stains. These will remove the stain but leave the smell behind. You need to use organic, pet-specific carpet cleaners to remove the stain and the odor.
11. Steam carpet cleaning. The best thing you can do for your carpet is to have it steam cleaned regularly. This will prevent additional wear and tear on the carpet and make stain removal much easier.
Carpet Cleaning Services & More in Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Northridge & Greater Los Angeles, California
There’s only so much that homeowners can do versus what the professionals can do. Minor spills and stains are fairly easy to deal with but for serious carpet issues, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Call the professionals at Eco Clean Carpet Cleaning today!